Statement of Faith
• •We believe the sixty-six books of the Bible to the inerrant Word of God and look to the Bible alone for all sound doctrine, teaching, and theology. (2 Tim. 3:15-17, Heb. 4:12, 2 Pet. 1:2-3)
• •We believe that God is eternally existent in three separate persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (Mat. 28:19, John 10:30, John 14, Gal. 4:6)
• •We believe that God is the personal and sovereign creator of all things. Gen. 1:1, John 1:1, Col. 1:16,17)
• •We believe that Jesus Christ is fully God and fully human*, that He was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life**, provided for the atonement of our sins by His substitutionary death on the cross, was bodily raised from the dead*** by the power of the Holy Spirit, ascended to the right hand of God the Father, and ever lives to make intercession for us. (*Mat. 1:18-23, Isa. 53:1-6, **2 Cor. 5:21, 1 Pet. 2:21-25, 1 John 3:5, ***Mat. 27-28, Mark 15-16, Luke 23-24, John 19-21. Also on deity see: John 1:1-5,14, John 8:24,58, John 20:28)
• •We believe that Jesus ascended into heaven after appearing to many people, confirming His bodily resurrection from the dead. (Acts 1:9, 1 Cor. 15:3-7)
• •We believe that Jesus commissioned His followers (the Church) to take the good news of His substitutionary death on the cross and resurrection from the dead to all people on earth until He returns. (Mat. 28:18-20, Mark 16:15ff, Luke 24:46-48, John 20:21, Acts 1:8)
• •We believe that all people are by nature separated from God and responsible for their own sin, but that salvation, redemption and forgiveness are freely offered to every person by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. When any person confesses and repents of their sin and receives Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, trusting Him alone to save them, that person is immediately born again and sealed by the Holy Spirit, all their sins are forgiven and that person becomes a child of God, destined to spend eternity with the Lord. Rom. 3:23 & 6:23, 1 John 1:9, John 3:3-18)
• •We believe salvation can only be found in Jesus Christ and that we are saved by the grace of God through our faith in Jesus Christ alone rather than by good works. (Eph. 2:9-10 Acts 4:12 John 8:23-24 Acts 17:30-31)
• •We believe in the “security of the true believer”, that those who trust Jesus Christ alone for their salvation are truly safe from eternal damnation. (John 10:27-29)
• •We believe that the gifts of the Spirit are available to the church of Jesus Christ today. We believe that none of the gifts have been “withdrawn” by God and that all are available to the church in order to fulfill the work of the great commission and the edifying of the Body of Christ. (1 Cor. 12-14, Rom. 12:3-8, Eph. 4:7-16)
• •We believe that the “baptism of the Holy Spirit” or “filling of the Spirit” is a separate work of the Holy Spirit, different from the work of the Holy Spirit which takes place at the point of New birth. The “baptism” or “filling” is expressly for the empowering of the believer for the work of the particular ministry each Christian is called to. (John 20:22, Luke 24:49, Acts 1:5-8)
• •We believe that love is more important than the operation of spiritual gifts, being called “a more excellent way”. (1 Cor. 12:31-13:13, 1 Pet. 4:8, John 13:34-35)
• •We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost: they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and eternal life in heaven, and they that are lost to the resurrection of damnation and eternal separation from God in hell. (Mat. 7:21-27, Mat.
• •We await the pre-wrath (pre-tribulation) rapture of the church and we believe that the second coming of Jesus Christ with His saints to rule on the earth will be personal, pre-millennial and visible. (1 Thes. 4:13-, 5:9)
• •We believe in the creation and God as the Creator. We believe that God created man and that He created them male and female. As such He created them different so as to complement and complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason homosexuality, and all other “sexual preferences” or “orientations” are unnatural, sinful, and unacceptable to God. Accordingly, this ministry will not perform any marriage ceremonies between two individuals of the same sex. It will not condone or recognize such same-sex marriages, civil unions, or domestic partnerships even if the state passes laws that provide for recognition of such unions.
• •We believe that marriage is exclusively the legal union of one genetic male and one genetic female sanctioned by the state and evidenced by a marriage ceremony. We also believe that legitimate biblical sexual relations are exercised solely within marriage. Hence, sexual activities such as, but not limited to, adultery, fornication, pre-marital sex, incest, polygamy, homosexuality, transgenderism, bisexuality, cross-dressing, pedophilia and bestiality are inconsistent with the teachings of the Bible and the Church. Further, lascivious behavior, the creation, viewing and/or distribution of pornography and efforts to alter one’s physical gender or gender related appearance are incompatible with a true biblical witness. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:4-6; John 4:16-18; Romans 1:18-32; I Corinthians 5:11, 6:9-11, 6:18-20, 7:1-3 and 7:8-9; Galatians 5:19-21; Ephesians 5:3-7; 1 Timothy 1:9-11)
What We Don’t Believe
Because there are many items of doctrine which exist among true believers it is necessary to state what we do not adhere to. Though, as has already been stated, we recognize that other true believers hold to some of these positions we believe it is important to be clear and honest about where we stand as a church concerning these issues. We do not wish to cause or foster division among the church of Jesus Christ but believe it necessary to be together concerning what we teach as basic doctrine at Calvary Chapel Melbourne.
We do not believe Christians can be truly “demon-possessed”, although they can certainly be under demonic attack by forces of spiritual darkness. 2 Corinthians 6:15-16
• •We do not believe in the body of teaching popularly known as “positive confession” or “hyper-faith”, the idea that God desires all believers to be perfectly healthy and material or financially prosperous. Hebrews 11:32-40
• •Though we believe God still heals sickness and disease and can even physically raise the dead, and although we regularly pray for healing and miracles, we do not believe we can command God to perform such acts according to our will or desires upon demand. Hebrews 11:32-40
• •Although we believe in the gift of prophecy (God speaking to people through those He chooses to use as His mouthpieces) we do not believe those “words of prophecy” supersede the Scriptures. 1 Corinthians 14:29
• •Although psychology may have come to some accurate conclusions and understanding as to the operation of the human mind we reject the incorporation of secular psychology in the teaching ministry and counseling practice of the church, believing that the Bible is adequate in all areas pertaining to the proper ordering of the affairs and relationships of our lives. Colossians 2:8
• •We oppose the over-emphasis of spiritual gifts or experiential signs and wonders when such practices supersede the order called for in the scriptures. Hebrew 12:14
• •We do not adhere to or espouse any systematic theology (Calvinist, Arminian, Dispensational, Covenant etc.) in so far as they exclude or down play elements of truth found in the word of God. We believe that all such attempts to “rationalize” the Word of God or to arrive at a definitive or exhaustive theology are futile in nature in accordance with Paul’s statement in Romans 11:33-34: O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who has known the mind of the Lord? or who has been his counselor?
• •We believe that full understanding of all such mysteries will be ours in heaven when we shall know even as we are known. 1 Cor. 13:8-12 Deuteronomy 29:29
• •While we are on earth we believe our activity and purpose is best served in working together in obeying the mandates of Jesus Christ: Loving the Lord our God with all of our hearts, loving one another as Jesus loved us, preaching the gospel to all people, making disciples of all nations, baptizing and teaching all believers, and sending Christian workers out to continue that work. Matt. 28:18-20 Mark 16:15-16, Luke 10:1-16 & 24:46-47, John 20:21, Acts 1:8